60-308. Service outside state. (a) Proof and effect(1) Service of process may be made on any party outside this state. If on a party domiciled in this state or on a party that has submitted to the jurisdiction of the courts of this state, such service provides personal jurisdiction over that party; otherwise it provides in rem jurisdiction over specifically identified property that party has in this state.

(2) The service of process must be made: (A) In the same manner as service within this state, by an officer authorized to serve process in this state or in the state where the party is served; or (B) by a party or the party’s attorney pursuant to subsection (c) of K.S.A. 60-303, and amendments thereto. No order of a court is required. The server must file an affidavit or a declaration pursuant to K.S.A. 53-601, and amendments thereto, or any other competent proof, stating the time, manner and place of service. The court may consider the affidavit, declaration or any other competent proof in determining whether service has been properly made.

(3) No default may be entered until the expiration of at least 30 days after service. A default judgment rendered on service outside this state may be set aside only on a showing that is timely and sufficient under subsection (b) of K.S.A. 60-260, and amendments thereto, to set aside a default judgment.

(b) Submitting to jurisdiction. (1) Any person, whether or not a citizen or resident of this state, who in person or through an agent or instrumentality does any of the following acts, thereby submits the person and, if an individual, the individual’s representative, to the jurisdiction of the courts of this state for any claim for relief arising from the act:

(A) Transacting any business in this state;

(B) committing a tortious act in this state;

(C) owning, using or possessing real estate located in this state;

(D) contracting to insure any person, property or risk located in this state at the time of contracting;

(E) entering into an express or implied contract, by mail or otherwise, with a resident of this state to be performed in whole or in part by either party in this state;

(F) acting in this state as director, manager, trustee or other officer of any corporation organized under the laws of or having a place of business in this state or as executor or administrator of any estate in this state;

(G) causing to persons or property in this state an injury arising out of an act or omission outside this state by the defendant if, at the time of the injury, either:

(i) The defendant was engaged in solicitation or service activities in this state; or

(ii) products, materials or things processed, serviced or manufactured by the defendant anywhere were used or consumed in this state in the ordinary course of trade or use;

(H) living in a marital relationship in this state notwithstanding subsequent departure from this state, for all obligations arising for maintenance, child support or property settlement under the Kansas family law code, chapter 23 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, and amendments thereto, if the other party to the marital relationship continues to reside in this state;

(I) serving as insurer of a person at the time of an act by the person which is the subject of an action in a court of competent jurisdiction in this state which results in judgment being taken against the person;

(J) having sexual intercourse in this state, in an action seeking to adjudge the person to be a parent of a child and in an action to require the person to provide support for a child as provided by law, if: (i) The conception of the child results from the act; and (ii) the other party to the act or the child continues to reside in this state;

(K) entering into an express or implied arrangement, whether by contract, tariff or otherwise, with a corporation or partnership residing or doing business in this state under which the corporation or partnership has supplied transportation services or communication service or equipment, including telephonic communication services, for a business or commercial user when the services supplied to the user are managed, operated or monitored in this state, provided that the person is given reasonable notice that arranging or continuing the transportation services or communication services may result in jurisdiction under this section; or

(L) having contact with this state which would support jurisdiction consistent with the constitutions of the United States and of this state.

(2) A person submits to the jurisdiction of the courts of this state for a claim for relief which did not arise in this state if substantial, continuous and systematic contact with this state is established which would support jurisdiction consistent with the constitutions of the United States and of this state.

(c) Section not exclusiveNothing in this section affects the right to serve process in any other manner provided by law.


Icon for the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Rules and Laws for Civil Actions Copyright © 2024 by Stella Burch Elias; Derek T. Muller; Jason Rantanen; Caroline Sheerin; and Maya Steinitz is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.

Share This Book