23 Reducing Uncertainty and Sharing What To Expect
The marketing materials for an event can set the framework for who feels included as the accessible design integrated into the event. This allows individuals to assess for themselves what their needs will be and anticipate any requests to the event planners.
Reducing Uncertainty and Sharing What to Expect
- What do you already know about you’re event that your able to share?
- How do your marketing materials illustrate inclusion from language, access needs, to the images and representations?
- Share what language the event will be held in such as Spanish translation or Signed Language interpretation. Inform participants of other communication tools or devices that will be available such as closed captioning, CART, hearing loops, etc. To read more about language interpretation and closed captioning visit these areas of the Guide.
- All University of Iowa events are open to everyone, and messaging for events should reinforce the inclusion of all UI community members. This is an important consideration while also considering terms intentionally to indicate who the intended audience is.
- Offer what food or beverages might be available including if there are various dietary options.
- Consider offering low-sensory, relaxed environments, or other spaces that are friendly for those who are nondivergent and indicate these on marketing materials.
- When possible, share an agenda including any breaks, amount of time for lunch, etc. By providing this information, attendees can plan for any rest or health care needs during these breaks.
- Remember to add a primary point of contact for accommodation requests in case accommodations are needed beyond the integrated design the attendee can easily connect with the appropriate person to make a request.
This Guide was created in partnership with collaborators and supporters across the University of Iowa.
We depend on and appreciate your feedback, comments, and questions to keep this document as up-to-date and relevant for its users.
To provide feedback or suggestions fill out out this Qualtrics form.