When planning events and programs we often hope for the best and still have a contingency plan for any possible last minute changes or emergencies. Part of that contingency plan should not only be about location and communication, but also about safety for those attending the session.
- What is the plan in case of an emergency?
- Have you considered the physical and psychological safety of participants?
- Have you considered the identities of your participants and what safety might mean for them?
- Consider who needs to be present to help create a environment that encourages participants to feel safe?
- Ensure that there are emergency plans that include locations of exits, a protocol for people with limited mobility and other disabilities, and the nearest area of rescue assistance.
- For planning emergency protocols, please contact the UI Department of Public Safety and plan accordingly.
- For information on Active Shooter and Community Training Programs visit UI Department of Public Safety.
- For risk management contact Uiowa Risk Management, Insurance, and Loss Prevention.
- Make sure that your communication plan includes Signed Language, Language interpretation, and captioning of any emergency notification.
- Ensure staff and volunteers are easily identifiable consider having them wear the same t-shirts, or name badges with the word STAFF or VOLUNTEER in large font so that if someone needs help they can find someone with ease.
- Clearly mark access to any first aid resources.
- Have a first aid kit and AED available at the event.
- Event organizers should be aware of contact information for:
- Pharmacy – nearest and 24-hour
- Urgent Care, Emergency Room, and Crisis Hotlines
- Threat Assessment Program Uiowa
- Demonstration Support Team
- Risk Management, Insurance, and Loss Prevention
- CommUnity Crisis Services
- University of Michigan | Accessible & Inclusive Events Resource Guide
This Guide was created in partnership with collaborators and supporters across the University of Iowa.
We depend on and appreciate your feedback, comments, and questions to keep this document as up-to-date and relevant for its users.
To provide feedback or suggestions fill out out this Qualtrics form.