Often while planning for events, we think about the day of the week, the time of the event, and conflicts with workplace schedules. It is also important to consider if there are religious holidays or commitment-based needs (e.g. religious observation, school breaks, community gatherings, etc) that would prevent someone from engaging in an event.
Religious and Commitment Considerations
- Does your event or program overlap with an important religious or commitment-driven holiday, event, or practice?
- Check the University of Iowa’s main calendar, which is arranged by the academic calendar year for the current and next school year,.
- Check out the BMindful Calendar to consider what other holidays may be the same day as your event.
- Depending on one’s religion or practice, some holidays are based on the lunar calendar, which means that when the holiday occurs can vary from year to year.
- Some dietary needs might also need to be considered:
- Kosher restrictions apply: Jewish dietary guidelines which apply daily throughout the year. These restrictions include pork, shellfish (fish is allowed) and mixing meat with dairy.
- Halal restrictions apply: Islamic dietary laws which apply throughout the year. These restrictions include alcohol and pork.
- Occasional dietary restrictions for other religions are listed with the specific event to which they apply.
- Sometimes when someone can eat must also be considered. If participants are unable to partake in food items during the event, be sure to have to-go options so individuals could partake at a different time.
- Think Iowa City | BMindful
- UI Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion | Religious Guidelines
- University of California – Berkley | 10 Resources to Make Your Events More Inclusive
- Webster University | Holiday and Observances LibGuide
This Guide was created in partnership with collaborators and supporters across the University of Iowa.
We depend on and appreciate your feedback, comments, and questions to keep this document as up-to-date and relevant for its users.
To provide feedback or suggestions fill out out this Qualtrics form.