The mission of the Department of Public Safety, or DPS, is to provide each member of the UI community with a sense of security throughout campus by creating a safe learning environment.
DPS is here for you whether you need to report a crime, need a safe way to get home, or are locked out of your vehicle, room, or apartment.
DPS also offers additional security services for UI students such as:
- Hawk Alert, an emergency communication system, is a service that notifies campus of an event that is currently ongoing and poses an immediate threat to physical safety. Students can receive these messages via phone call, text message, or email. Text message is the fastest way to receive a Hawk Alert.
- Crime Alerts notify campus of a crime that has already occurred on campus, but could pose an ongoing safety issue. These messages are sent out via email.
- NITE RIDE is a free late night transportation service for people of all genders. A boundary map is available online.
- Rave Guardian, a free mobile app, allows students to select a virtual safety escort, or “guardian,” to monitor their travel across campus. This app also allows you to send tips to UI police anonymously via text messages and dial UI police quickly using a panic button.
- Non-emergency phone: 319-335-5022
- Emergency phone: 911
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: https://police.uiowa.edu/
- Located at: 808 University Capitol Centre
What Current Students are Saying
- “Use the Nite Ride app for late nights where you don’t want to walk home – it is free to use or students can pay $1 to be dropped off directly at their home.”